Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What Cancer Cannot Do!!!

It cannot and will not and has not killed my spirit! I have been on one crazy ride for the past 6 months. The thing that has gotten me through it all has been my fighting spirit and the love and support of my family and friends.

Today was the closing of another chapter, and of course, mom and dad were here with me. I had my post-op meeting with Dr. Kennedy. She said that I'm healing wonderfully, that the incision looks great and she also gave me a copy of my pathology report. Which, Dr. Kennedy was very happy with the report and the findings. For those that might not already know, they basically say that I'm now cancer free. We were also able to schedule a consult with the radiation oncologist for the 30th of this month to discuss when we will start radiation. I also have to start physical therapy tomorrow. The doctor wants to have my arm be more flexible than it is now. Apparently my arm has to be able to reach behind my head before I can do radiation, and right now that's not possible! Thank goodness for pain killers, I'm pretty sure I'll be heavily medicated tomorrow after that! I also was able to get fitted for my prosthetic (fake boob) today and I got 2 new bras so that was exciting! I won't be able to wear the prosthetic for awhile now since I'm still healing and it hurts to have anything touch my incision area.

Last week was a bit of a rough week for me. Wednesday was the first day that I had actually gotten dressed and it was quite an experience. To have a t-shirt on and see one side of my body flat and hardly any hair on my head it was hard to feel like a girl. It was like I didn't have time to prepare myself for the after. I was so ready to get the cancer out and get past the surgery that I forgot to take a minute and actually prepare myself for what was going to be, or not be, there after the surgery. But like the title of this blog says it can't kill my spirit, and after going a week without a bra I'm starting to get use to the idea more and more everyday! :) I've said this whole time that my humor would get me through this and that's even more true now. I'm actually thankful (now) that God made me flat chested because you can't really tell that I've had a mastectomy!

I have to thank everyone for going through this journey with me, we've reached the top of the roller coaster and we are downhill from now on. I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving and I'm very blessed to have all of you there with me on this ride. I'm looking forward to giving my body some much needed relaxation from everything that I have put it through this last 6 months!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Peace, Love and Hope
Kaitlyn

4 comments:

Kelly said...

You looked smokin hot when I saw you on Sunday!!!

Kelly said...

Oh yeah, and think of softball when you're stretching it out and doing you therapy! That was always my physical therapy motivator. You are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It can only get better from now on sweetie. I know about looking at the incision. It is not a pretty sight but when I look at mine I thank my God he gave me a second chance at life. It will get better. You have a spirit that none of us could have imagined. When this started, I knew your fight would get you through but little did I know how much your attitude would help us all. You are at the top of that mountain now ready to slide down. Keep the faith, live life to it's fullest and thank God for your second chance. See you over Thanksgiving. I want to see the chia head and your incision. We can discuss game plans together. Love you bunches Katydid. You are my hero.
Love
Grams

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful support system. I am so happy for your results. As your g-ma said she knows what it is like. And she is a wonderful person for you to talk to since she has been down this road. You have faught the fight and beat it. Your spirit is strength for all. You would be an excellent candidate as a spokesperson for breast cancer. You are still a beautiful young lady. Sometimes the "smaller things of life"(our chest)aren't so bad after all. Your mom would probably kill me for saying this, but I have seen some who have gone through this exact thing and then they had a tatoo designed to show the beauty of a scar, the support of the cancer society, and the fight well worth winning. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
You are an inspiration to me.

Alison Pfeiffer