Friday, March 11, 2011

Birthdays

So I felt compelled to actually write a blog today, since I don't think I can sum up what my 26th year has meant to me in a facebook status or a tweet. Here it goes and I apologize in advance if I get too long winded! So as some of you may know today is my 27th birthday and with it brings so many emotions for me. I think I will start with when I was diagnosed with cancer and going in for my 6 rounds of chemo and even my doctor appts, I would have to wear a name tag with of course, my name but also my date of birth. I would, every time the nurses came over to administer the chemo, verify my name and birth date. Keep into account I had 6 rounds of chemo and three chemo drugs every time so I was saying the words 3/11/1984, 18 times over the last 7 months. This does not even take into account the many times I went in for surgery or an MRI or any other scan that required a wrist band that I had to verify was right. So I've had this date in my head as a constant reminder of what I was fighting for. All cancer patients currently fighting and survivors, be it me as a 1 year survivor or my grandmother a 12 year survivor and the ones who are over that, are all looking to get to the day that they can celebrate blowing out another candle and saying I made it. Today is the day that I have fought the last 7 months to get to and to be able to say I made it, the road was hard but I made it. I am so grateful and blessed to have the support of my family and friends who saw me through my darkest days and helped me get to this day, so to all of you I raise my glass and say a huge THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to go enjoy some cake and blowing out 27 candles and see where this chapter takes me in life. So I end my blog the way I have ended all the other ones I have written with I wish you Peace, Love and above all Hope for one more birthday!!

Peace, Love, Hope
Kaitlyn

3 comments:

Megan Murphy said...

I believe I'll raise my glass to that, as well! Congrats on all you've gotten through, and blessings on the road ahead. God gives you crap to help raise you to greatness - of that, I am sure!

KiraDanielle said...

What an amazing 27 year old you are, Katydid! I'm so thankful that I get to call you a friend!!! Love you bunches!!

Anonymous said...

I just can't find the words - I told people yesterday was your birthday and they didn't seem to get the intensity of the celebration. But we got it! Love you and miss you SO much!!!!