Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Drainage Tubes, Morphine Pumps and Camisoles Oh My!!!

So today was my Pre-Op meeting with Dr. Kennedy I also met with the Rehab facility to learn about the exercises I will be doing after surgery. Thank goodness mom and dad were there today to soak up all the information given to us. I have to report to the hospital at 9 Monday morning. I think they are planning to do surgery around 11 and it will last around 2 hours. I will have to stay overnight Monday night and will be able to come home Tuesday afternoon. When I wake up on Monday I will have two drainage tubes attached to me as well as a mini morphine pump called an ON-Q pump. It's job is to help with the pain after I come home and when it has drained you can apparently pull it right out of my chest. So that job as been given to my mom. I know she is really looking forward to doing that. The tubes are even better, my mom has to empty the tubes twice a day and measure how much fluid is coming out. I also get to wear a special camisole that holds the drain pumps in a pouch that is connected to my camisole, needless to say today was a little overwhelming.

On a change of topic, last weekend I participated in the Making Strides against Breast Cancer in South Bend. I walked with my Aunt Donna, Mom, Jaymie Hartzler and her mom Shari Hartzler, Amy Calvert, Erin and her daughter Addy. They had a great turnout and it turned out to a beautiful morning for a nice little walk through South Bend sporting our AWESOME orange shirts. After the walk we went and had lunch at the Olive Garden where we got free cake at the end of our meal. I'm still pretty sure its because I have cancer, so if anyone wants me to tag along with them I can get you some free stuff! :)

I will be updating one more time before Monday. Then my mom will be updating on Monday after the surgery as I know a lot of you will want to know how that went. I want to say thank you for all the prayers so far and I ask that you say just one more prayer for Monday. I'm a little anxious to have the surgery, but I trust that God will be watching over me and keep me safe. I also trust my surgeon and medical team and know I'm in very good hands.

Peace, Love and Hope
Kaitlyn

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you will be fine. If Grams can do it so can you. If it is ok with you, Gramps and I will be there on Monday to support you, mom and dad. I would feel better being there. If you would rather not I will understand. You have come a long way since May and you are on the downhill stretch. God is with you and all of your prayer warriors are still in prayer. God will guide Dr. Kennedy as she does the surgery and he will be with the nurses and mom as they take care of you. Love ya bunches. I plan on talking to you this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Love and prayers are coming your way Kaitlyn and family. Keep the faith, God is the great healer and he will guide the surgeon's hands for you.

Hugs,
Enid Tate-Shephard

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn: Thinking of you and wishing you all the best! Darla

Megan Murphy said...

Girl, you CRACK me up! Anytime you're ready to hit up the beach let me know - especially if you're worth some good freebies!

Praying for you, thinking of you, and sending you all kinds of good mojo!

Love ya!

Janie Herd-Harrold said...

Kaitlyn, I lift you up in prayer everyday until you are cured but will send special prayer up Monday!! God Bless you keep fighting girl and will keep praying!!!

Tammy Wintczak said...

As I read your blogs, you are always so positive and inspirational. Tomorrow, I have to go for some more diagnostic testing as I have an abnormal mammogram and as I have been following your blogs, you have shown me that positive thinking and the love and support of family and friends can take you through anything. I know that I can get through this just as you have. A friend told me the other day to keep your chin pointed to the sky as it is to hard to frown and cry when you are looking up to the heavens. Good luck with you surgery and keep us updated as I find great comfort and encouragement in your words as I start down this path of the uncertainty.

Unknown said...

Not really sure how in the middle of all this you and your momma can crack me up w/ your writing style but you do! I'll soooo be thinking of all of you, holing up in "Camp Thomas" next week! love to all of you....inspirational...every flipping one of you!

Unknown said...

PS...can't wait to plan a girls trip to NYC!!!!!