Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Yay It's an Update!!!

Get excited its an update!!! So a lot has happened since the last time my mom posted. Just to give a quick update on whats been happening. After my last chemo which was a month ago, I got really sick and started to run a fever due to an infection I was fighting before I had chemo. I noticed that I felt really warm and took my temp it was around 100.7. After talking to the Oncologist on duty, Scott and I proceeded to go to the ER where they drew my blood and ran some other tests. Come to find out my counts were dangerously low and they were thinking of admitting me but thankfully my oncologist said I could be released and I was prescribed antibiotics and told to rest. Mom came right away and spent a couple of days and then came back with dad when my temperature flared up again. Then the following week I was having some problems using the bathroom so I went back to the ER only to find that I had a urinary tract infection and was given more antibiotics and told to rest. That last chemo took a lot out of me and even laughed in my face a little bit, but with every one's prayers and words of encouragement I was able to fight and get through the worst of it.

I also have had my first herceptin infusion which was a piece of cake just like the nurses and doctors told me it would be. Both mom and Scott were along for the ride. Because it was my first one I had to sit there for an hour and half so they could monitor me while having it. The infusion went fine and will only take about 20-25 minutes the rest of the time. I go every 3 weeks for the infusion for a year and my next one is next Thursday.

Mom, Dad and I met with Dr. Kennedy, who is my surgeon, last Wednesday to discuss my options with surgery. Since the chemo shrunk the tumor so much Dr. Kennedy thought we might be able to do a lumpectomy. She ordered a mammogram and a MRI. Mom and I went in last Friday to get those done. Dr Kennedy was able to look at the imaging and due to there still being some spots of concern to her she feels the best course of action is to have a mastectomy. I have scheduled my surgery for Nov. 1st. That way I will be able to be healed in time to enjoy Thanksgiving and the holidays with my family. I (and mom and dad)have a pre-op meeting next Wednesday with Dr. Kennedy to go over the specifics and make sure we are all on the same page.

On a happier note, I participated in the Making Strides against Breast Cancer walk here in Indy last weekend. The Hartford organized a team to walk and I felt very honored that they did that and asked me to walk with them. I had a great time and was actually able to walk the whole thing, I was a little tired afterwards and definitely took a nap when I got home. :) It was great to be out there raising awareness and money for this disease. I am also planning on walking in the same event this Saturday with my mom and the Fulton County Relay for Life team in South Bend. Our team name is the Fulton County Rack Pack and they even got orange t-shirts in my honor. I had my dad put a link on here called Making Strides so that if any of you would like to donate money you can go to that site and give.

I just want to thank everyone again for all your support and words of encouragement through all of this, it has meant the world to me and made me fight harder. Now on to the next chapter which is surgery and then its down hill from there, and I promise to update on here more often.

Peace, Love and Hope
Kaitlyn

1 comment:

Lana Joy said...

Thinking of you, praying for you, and sending love.
always,
Lana